Sunday, July 29, 2007
1. I am a good teacher because I have read a ton of books. I know books, I try my best to get to know the kid and try to pair them with something they like and don't give up on getting them enthusiastic about reading...ever.
2. If I weren't a teacher, I would be... a Physicians Assistant in an Ob/Gyn office.
3. My teaching style is...based on constant informal assessment and I give the kids all the ownership they can handle. I believe they need to be reading books they can read and want to read and write about things they know about or want to know about. Each kids different, so their reading/writing choice should be as well.
4. My classroom is... homey but incredibly structured. I'm a library that tries my best with my money to make it look more like a library in a home rather than a classroom.
5. My lesson plans... are always planned based on what I think the kids would like to hear about. I get my ideas, by just browsing the shelves, finding a book that I think they will like, and then building a lesson or booktalk, or author study around it.
6. One of my teaching goals is...to understand that if they can read, they can literally learn to do anything and if they can't, they will be powerless in some situations.
7. The toughest part of teaching is the lack of authority teachers have in many many areas, from grades, to discipline, to what books are supported, to what we think is best for students.
8. The thing I love most about teaching is... seeing that I have made a real difference in a child that will stay with them and empower them forever.
9. A common misconception about teaching is... you really don't work that much. When you are finished with the school day, you still have to plan and organize for the next day. Then you have to make a couple of phone calls that last a good 20 minutes a piece. Oh, then the paperwork for the kid you had discipline problems with, and the team meeting, or school wide meeting, or district wide meeting. AND WE DON'T HAVE SUMMERS OFF! What about the staff development we have to attend for and not get paid for....I just put in over a week last week and didn't get paid a dime. And now I am a librarian, so I have to know about books...so I have to read a tremendous amount ALL OF THE TIME and then i have to order these books. These are all things we do off duty...we don't get paid a dime for it, yet it is expected...so yes...we work more than the average person thinks.
10. The most important thing I've learned since I started teaching... is if you set a level of expectation the students will meet it. Yeah...what Jeanne said.
Delaney was showing me her sharp swimming skills...she lays down in the 3 inches of water with her arms and legs spread eagle...saying, I'm floating like a sea star!
Saturday, July 28, 2007
Thursday, July 26, 2007
Another thing that was accomplished this week for school, was Kaytlynn getting her school shots. I still can't believe she is going to school in 6 weeks! Delaney got hers as well, and although they both screamed bloody murder while receiving 4 shots each, they calmed down pretty quickly, and boy were they sleepy that evening. They came home and immediately asked where their prizes were for being so brave. Kaytlynn got Strawberry Shortcake and Apple Dumplin' dolls and a bunk bed for them and Delaney received an Angel Food Cake doll, so they were happy in the end!
As far as Statistics for the girls...here they are:
Kaytlynn took a hearing test and an eye exam and passed with flying colors.
When questioned about the letters, she could sound them all out, but couldn't name them all!!!
She new all her shapes and colors and counted fine. They said she was doing great.
She is 4 years and 11 months
weighs 40.5 pounds = 50 - 75%
42 inches tall = 50%
BMI 16.1 = 50 - 75%
Delaney impressed them by knowing all the shapes and a few other things that they questioned her on. They said they usually are a little ahead when they have a sibling a little bit older than them. We told them about her only knowing the colors pink and purple and told them that at first we thought she was color blind maybe, but now know that she just doesn't care! They laughed and said girls weren't colorblind...and that she was fully capable...she just didn't want to. They said not to worry about it....so I guess we won't!
Delaney is exactly 3 1/2 years old
Weighs 35 pounds = 50 - 75%
40 1/2 inches tall = 90 %
BMI = 15 25- 50%
Friday, July 20, 2007
Back when Todd and I were first married we caught a cat in the woods beside our house in New Caney. We couldn't think of a name for 2 days and he would not leave the picture of Juliet, hanging over our bed alone...he kept pouncing at it, so we named him Barson.
Tuesday, July 17, 2007
The girls are way off their sleeping schedule this week. Since they are sleeping in, they don't want to go to bed till about 10:30 or 11:00. Todd and I have been letting them watch something to calm them down late at night, while we sneak off and watch an episode of 24! Its been fun, but since Kaytlynn will start going to Kindergarten in less than a month, we are going to have to stop. The girls have also been sleeping on the couch and love seat. They asked and I couldn't think of a good reason to tell them no, so that is where they go to bed!
The girls finished their session of dance up from the Y. They enjoyed themselves so much, that I might sign them up for next month as well.
I am at home by myself today. Todd took the girls to Carmen's today so that I could work on my school work. All I have done thus far is read. I guess I will get to the essays and such another day. I am trying to get through YA literature for the 4th time in my college career!!! Needless to say, I am not happy about it! But this too shall pass...it just can't happen soon enough!
Friday, July 13, 2007
1. Wally is getting old (16 yrs old now) and now growls and lightly bites at the girls because they chase him and hit him with their wands or pet a little too rough. We try to tell them to stay away because he is "old and grumpy".
2. We are trying to teach Kaytlynn a few of God's characteristics...He is love, He is powerful, He is kind.
So me and the girls are in the bathroom and Kaytlynn is talking about how God is powerful and that we are his children...even Wally. I say "Yep, even Wally, because he made Wally" Then next thing you know Delaney says..."Wally is powerful like God" and before I can say anything, Kaytlynn makes a funny face and says..."No he's not. God's not old and grumpy!!!" and then she stops and looks at me with a questioning look and says "is he Mommy?"I had to try really hard not to burst out laughing when I told her...no, God's not old and grumpy.
Monday, July 9, 2007
I made a pot roast last night...cooked it in the crock pot, so that is what we will be having for lunch in a few minutes and I am really looking forward to it. Its actually got some nutrients in it, with the potatoes and carrots in it, so I am sure the kids will want nothing to do with it.
Wednesday, July 4, 2007
Anyway...I wake up, cook pancakes for the girls, watch a movie with the girls, do workbook pages with the girls and then do the ultimate for them....I get the mixer out and let them start "baking" an applesauce cake. I need to go check on the dryer so I walk past the TV. As I pass by, I notice Kaytlynns First Haircut picture is a little crooked. Its a folded piece of cardstock with her picture getting her haircut on one side of the page and a clear envelope holding the cuttings of her first cut. Well when I go to adjust the card, I notice THERE IS NO HAIR IN THE ENVELOPE. Kaytlynn decided to "play" with it. She used her step stool to get it while I was sleeping and "just did this"...she says as she rubs her fingers together letting pretend hair fall from her fingers to the ground! We looked and couldn't find any...I was so angry and sad. I made her go to her room and had Todd come home from his lunch break because I felt like I was going to snap! She ended up being so sorry...she even pet my head when she apologized. So I guess when we go for her second "hair cut" we will say it is her first to get some new locks of hair!!! Id rather have her than her locks, but it would be so nice to have both! I just keep telling myself that this is just going to be hilarious one day! It will, won't it?
Sunday, July 1, 2007
We went over to Todd's moms house for about an hour and came home. I think that Todd will be flying to Michigan on Thursday. They are hoping to have the funeral on Friday. Everyone seems to be sad, but also doing well, in focusing on the fact that she is Heaven now with her husband and most importantly our Heavenly Father.