Monday, July 13, 2009

My Mother's Ceramics

My mother was a stay at home mom when I was little. She sacrificed a lot to do that. She has never been the type that spent a lot of money on herself. I have never really seen her splurge on anything. She doesn't shop unless she NEEDS it, She doesn't really decorate much; if it is in her house, it is functional or it was a gift. She never drove fancy cars...in fact, She drove our OLD white corolla named Daisy till the wheels practically fell off. The one thing she did do though, was paint ceramics.

Every week she would go to Violet Bells shop in Porter, Texas and paint with friends. She did some amazing work, actually. The sad thing is...she had 2 naughty daughters that really didn't see what a treat this was.


I hated school so I would always go to the nurses office. I could make myself have a fever. I don't know how, because it wasn't actually a "trick". I could just have a small fever if I wanted one. So I went to the nurse often. As in SEVERAL times EACH WEEK. The nurse and my mother both knew I wasn't really sick...but by law they had to send me home...Yippee!

On my mother's day of ceramics, she would tell me "JUDY, do NOT go to the nurses office today...I will be doing ceramics". Yes Ma'am...but I would still go...almost every single time! If she couldn't be reached (since this was before the days of cell phones) the nurse would call her back up, Mrs. Ray.

My sister hated the bus. She would miss it on purpose almost every day...and this is when she was in middle school. My mom would warn her as well, not to go to miss the bus because she was doing ceramics. I found this story out last week while visiting my family and mother said...it never failed.

I am so lucky to have had such a patient mommy! God was truly showing His grace when He gave her to me...and He was truly showing how He could test a person when giving my sister and I to my mother :-).

Above this post are 2 pictures of a rabbit she painted for me and it was in my Easter basket. I have very few pieces of her work, and they are all her more simple pieces, but this one always makes me smile. I put it on my mantle this year at Easter time and me and the girls would admire it. I decided to take a picture of it, just in case it is ever broken.

No comments: