Tuesday, October 6, 2009

A Fly in the Eye

Delaney was running around the house a couple of days ago (she doesn't really know what walking is, unless she is in trouble). Suddenly she starts screaming. I am thinking she is just playing around until Todd calls for me. I tell him to bring her to me and he proceeds to tell me she is saying that there is a bug in her eye. I assume what most would...that a bug hit her and she freaked out.

I lay her on the tile with a pillow under her head, so that I can look at her eye to make sure that there is no evidence of actual damage...and so she will calm down. I'll be a monkey's uncle if I didn't find an ACTUAL FLY under her bottom eyelid. Half of the fly was going back behind her eyeball, but the other half is moving around as if to scream ...Help Me, I'm trapped! I'm scared to grab it. I don't want to scratch her eye or only get the half that is in front of the eyeball. I suck in, get the jitters out and try not to focus on the fact that there is an insect in my child's body moving around...and tell Todd to go get some eye drops. I think that maybe the drops will make the bug go to the corner of your eye, just like it does all the gunk in your eye each night. That sounds like a good idea, right?

WRONG...One drop and one blink later, the 100% of the bug goes behind her eyeball. I watched it with my own eyes in complete HORROR. I lie to Delaney and say..."all gone". She is happy, she doesn't feel it anymore, (thank you Lord.) I tell Todd to take her to the bedroom and put on a Saddle Club movie (her newest video fascination), while I call my mother Nurse Kay to ask whether I go to the ER and get laughed at or go to the ER because this is really serious. My dad answers to tell me that Nurse Kay is at work...figures. He tries to talk me into spraying a baby aspirator full of water into the corner of her eye to flush the bug out...but I know how much pressure that is going to take to get behind the eyeball and am scared I will hurt her. All of a sudden I hear a BLOODCURDLING scream...I hang up on my dad...literally and sprint to the back bedroom and find out the bug has now resurfaced and is again halfway behind and halfway in front of the eyeball. I go in with my finger and sweep all but a wing out!

She was sooo mad at that bug...we let her yell at it a little while and cuddled with her as we finished her movie. Isn't it crazy what happens to kids under the age of 10???

3 comments:

Chris and Kim said...

All I can say is, wow! I don't know what I would have done, that's for sure! Kids keep it interesting, that's for sure!

tigger said...

OH.MY.GOD.

Just Me said...

What Tigger said!