Monday, March 17, 2008

Mystery Meltdown at the Dentist

So, last Monday Todd took the girls to the dentist. They have been before and it went without a hitch. They did what they were told, were pleasant, and had a great time. This time we weren't so lucky.

Todd woke up that morning and asked Kaytlynn if she was ready for the dentist. She said very nonchalantly "no". No biggie, Todd thought. He got the girls ready, gave them breakfast and drove to the dentist. Nothing else peculiar has happened, except for the no. He signs her in and the nurse and Todd decide Kaytlynn should go first to again reassure Delaney (who can sometimes be a bit shy) that it is no big deal. The nurse looks at Kaytlynn and says "are you ready to go back". Kaytlynn says "no". Just so you know...she doesn't tell us no...I mean she NEVER tells us no, but Todd realizes she is a bit scared, so he says Kaytlynn lets go back there so the Dr. can look at your teeth. He isn't going to do anything but look, and then Kaytlynn starts to SCREAM. As in, like a feral animal, scream. She is shaking, her eyes are dilating, she has tears running down her face. She is terrified. The thing is...we don't know why. She at this point, is too freaked out to say anything, and Delaney is not getting in that chair now, so Todd leaves with the girls in tow.

Fast forward to that evening. Mum is still the word from Kaytlynn on why she wouldn't cooperate and we decide not to push it. I'm doing school work with her and she smiles at me. I notice one of her front teeth look a little discolored. I tell her to smile again and she looks at me funny. I reach out to touch the tooth....and its loose. BINGO BANGO! I said Kaytlynn, your front tooth is loose. She sort of smiled, giggled and cried all at the same time. I asked if that was why she had her meltdown and she said yes. She was nervous for the next 5 minutes...very giggly and had tears in her eyes. I told her I was happy and she said..."You are?" and she began to relax a little.

She knew about losing your teeth, but I think she was caught off guard by it. That, and she had damaged her front teeth before, and I told her not to wiggle them so they could "replant" themselves".

Anyway...the truth is...I lied to her. I am so not happy. Not at all. I cried that night because again, I was hit with the reality that my baby girl is getting to be so big.

I'm not happy, but I am thankful. I am thankful she is healthy. I am thankful she is growing up "normally". I am thankful she is happy about her loose tooth. But most of all, I am thankful God gave her to me...for this moment in time.

3 comments:

Jeanne said...

welcome to my world! lol I hope you took a picture!! and called the dentist to let him know! ha ha

Chris and Kim said...

I'm glad Kaytlin is ok! Haha, just make sure the tooth fairy is good to her! You know, the tooth fairy is expensive nowadays!

Chris and Kim said...

I'm glad Kaytlin is ok! Haha, just make sure the tooth fairy is good to her!