Monday, March 17, 2008

Longest Book Ever

I just completed the longest book I have ever read. 973 pages to be exact. I read and listened to the audio of Pillars of the Earth by Ken Follet. I did this so that I would finish it as quickly as possible. I get lost if I take too long reading a book. It was well worth my time. It takes place about 1000 years ago. It is about a master builder who wants to build and eventually does, Cathedrals. It deals with all the politics from the church and government of the time. It also takes you into their homes, their beds, their minds. What a brutal time to live.

The book is staying in my mind and I think it will for some time. It is not as deep as people were making it seem (which is why it took me so long to even try to read it). Just long...and thoughtful. So if you have been putting it off for the same reason...dig in.

It has a sequel called Ends of the Earth (I think that is what it is called)...and it is supposed to be just as magnificent. I plan on reading it, but it is just as long, so I think I will do more fluffy reading and tackle it this summer.

No comments: