Friday, May 30, 2008

My Mother and The Birthday Song...

My mother has a tradition of calling at midnight on my birthday and singing me the birthday song. The funny thing is, I never think about it, so it is always a happy surprise when she does it.
So the other night I am fast asleep and the phone rings. I look at the clock and get scared to death that someone is calling with bad news. I answer it...and my mother starts singing "Happy Birthday to You, Happy Birthday to you"...Relieved and Groggy I say...
"Mother...its not my birthday"
Her reply "Yes it is. It is 12:04"
"No it's not"..."Todd, is it the 29th?". You then hear my mother speak to her friends at work...asking them if it is the 29th.
She then sheepishly said "oh, well, I guess Ill call you tomorrow."

She actually called me at midnight on the 28th. It was so funny! I giggled all day the next day thinking about it.

No comments: