Thursday, April 29, 2010

ANN LIKES RED...






Ann likes red.

Red! Red! Red!
A blue dress, Ann?
I like red said Ann.
Red! Red! Red!
"A red dress instead," said Ann.

These are the first lines to the first book I remember reading. Loved the book. I remembered Ann with her black braids. I remembered her smiling mother. The red dress, belt, shoes and hat she bought on her shopping adventure. I remembered the blue stars on the tag board cover...spine that separated because it was read so many times. And I remembered the title too. It was Bess' Red Dress. Bess likes red...well, its true. That is the exact title I REMEMBERED....which might be why I could NEVER find the darn book. I looked and looked on the internet...and each time it only ended in dissappointment.

Luckily, I'm using Five in a Row as my curriculum with the girls. Some of the books in FIAR have gone out of print. A publisher called Purple House Press republishes some of these lost treasures. I went to their website looking for a specific book, to see when it would be republished (Henry and the Cast Aways if you are wondering) and LO and BEHOLD...there was ANN...Not Bess...But ANN standing in front of a mirror in her black braids, red dress, red belt, her the stars were still in the background. I probably don't need to tell you that I couldn't press the buy button fast enough. It came just a few days later and I can't tell you the joy I had holding it reading it, sharing it with my girls, and then best of all, hearing my sweet Delaney reading it back to me! I am so thankful for FIAR. Im thankful of all the ideas that it has given me to experience with the girls and their education. I'm thankful for its ease and the way that it meshes so well with my philosophy. And now...look what treasure it led me too. Its amazing how God blesses you in big ways and small, and does it in ways you wouldn't have imagined.

P.S. If you love old children's literature and want to take a walk down memory lane, just go to http://purplehousepress.com/ Even if you aren't familiar with them...you won't be let down by these jewels. There is an absolute reason why these books have stood the test of time. And if you don't know where to start...Try Ann likes Red. And if you are beyond Dick and Jane books, try The Blueberry Pie Elf...but don't get it unless you are ready to make some blueberry pie! Its easy...Press buy and enjoy!

No comments: