Sunday, January 10, 2010

Kaytlynn Makes Parenting Look Easy...

So we get home from church and I tell the girls not to change their clothes just yet because I wanted to take their picture in front of the Christmas tree before we take it down. They are always up for getting their pictures taken...they are so humble, you know!

The girls hair is in two braids like Laura on Little House on the Prairie or Pippi Longstocking (2 HUGE favorites at our house right now). The hair is coming out of the braids a little though, and so I say, "Come here and I will take your hair out of your braids and take a few pictures with your hair down."

Kaytlynn then said , "No, I like my hair up." Instead of snapping at her, I just put the camera down. She asked if I want to take more pictures, and I tell her that I don't want to....that I already have pictures of her with her braids.

I am sitting at the computer and Kaytlynn comes in with wet eyes, apologizing. I tell her that it is okay, it is just that I am not used to her telling me no, and that I know she didn't learn THAT at church today. She said, "No ma'am, I just wanted to do what I wanted to do. I am very sorry. I then go into the house not being picked up and when they complain, it just makes it hard on everyone. That EVERYONE, including them, enjoys having a clean house, and NO ONE is happy when mommy is unhappy from picking up after everyone or when she is in a messy house.

She says, "I am very sorry mommy. I am grounding myself from Webkinz and Ty.com because I spend entirely too much time on there, instead of helping around the house and doing what I am supposed to be doing." I hug her and tell her that it isn't necessary and that I forgive her, and love her and am so thankful she has such a sweet heart....and she truly does. She sat down and drew me a picture of her with her arms wide open and saying "I love you" all the while humming a happy little song to herself. She said she drew it because she knew it would make me happy!

We will see how long she lasts on her "grounding", but even if she messes up in 5 minutes, I know her heart is good and true and full of love for God and her family and just about anyone else she comes into contact with. And that is why I say she makes parenting look easy.

2 comments:

Chris and Kim said...

Evan makes me feel like a good parent; every time he says thank you without me asking, or "helps" me sweep or pick up toys, I think how amazing he is and how "easy" he makes being a parent. I'm so glad that you and Todd were blessed with such wonderful children. Ya'll are wonderful parents, and Chris and I have learned a lot from watching you parent your kids.

Just Me said...

What a great story Judy!