Friday, January 8, 2010

Happy Birthday Delaney!

Delaney turned 6 this week. It was a very simple birthday "celebration" because it was in the middle of the week that happened to be a very busy day. I put her to bed the night before reminding her that the next day was her birthday. She was smiling so VERY big and simply said shyly, but proudly, "I know".

I wake up a couple of hours before she does so I didn't get to wake her up saying Happy Birthday, which made me kind of sad, but left school a little bit early so that I could spend a little time with her before church. Her birthday was on Wednesday night and that is when she has AWANAS. When I got to Dana's house to pick her up, she ran to the door smiling from ear to ear. When they let me in I started singing to her and she just giggled and sang along. She sat with me for a few minutes, but then decided that she would much rather be playing on the Crenshaw's playset than be sitting with her mother, even if her mother was giving her all the attention.

This was the first week back to AWANAS since Christmas so the theme was BOUNCE BACK. They had all sorts of bounce houses and Bounce slides and such for the kids to play on, and I think Delaney thought that there were there just for her.

When she returned home, she asked where her cake was! I told her...I didn't make a cake for you. Then I pulled out a pan of cupcakes and she screamed "PUPCAKES". I let her blow 6 candles out and then we sang the song again while Kaytlynn got to blow them out...then she asked if she could do it again...so we sang again...letting her blow them out one more time! Then they got to put confetti icing on their "pupcakes" and then I let them choose sprinkles and put them on as well. I love their excitement for birthdays and will be so sad when it isn't such a big deal to them. She ate up every minute of the attention and the pupcake and we settled down for bed.

It was a simple yet wonderful day. I then went to the computer and something caught my attention. She now needed 2 hands...not just one...to show how old she is and that literally brought me to tears. I posted on facebook that it amazes me how the little things are what seems to hit me the hardest while watching my children grow independent from me. I am so blessed with the time that I have with her and I just don't want all of her wonder and childishness to go away.

No comments: