Saturday, September 8, 2007

Our Sweet Wally...

Wally, our almost 16 year old Pomeranian died Thursday night. I came home from work and saw him on the bean bag in the kitchen. I had seen him on it when I got home...and he had not been feeling great since we got back from Denton, so I thought I would just let him rest...we were thinking he had eaten something not so great. An hour or so later, Kaytlynn was saying "wake up sleepyhead" in the kitchen and I knew before I even got to the kitchen to check. I told the girls he was really sleepy (I didn't want that to be the last thing they remembered) and put on a movie for them in the playroom. I called Todd and he came home and buried him. After he was taken care of we told the girls. Delaney immediately asked if she could play Happy Feet on the Wii, so it didn't bother her at all, but Kaytlynn cried for a while. I was 5 like her when my first dog, Becky, died. I thought that was coincidental. She is persistently asking for a new dog, but we are trying to wait a while. I guess we will see how it goes. Todd and I are both wrapped around her little finger, so we are seeing just how long we can hold out.

He was such a sweet dog. He loved to go on car trips and especially loved visiting my mother. He was laid back and only barked when someone rang the doorbell. He loved baths and as soon as he finished with one, he would run around the house barking and yelping, running like a mad man. It was funny, only because it was the only time he would play!
He constantly tried to "escape" and go for a neighborhood jog, and our neighbor Jeff would always bring him back to us! Most of all, Wally loved to eat people food. We tried not to do it since we wanted him to be healthy, but my mother and the girls thought it was hilarious to feed him. He sort of stayed away from the girls...not that he didn't like them, but they made him nervous...but as soon as they had food, he was RIGHT THERE by there side. Their very best friend. Delaney spent this last weekend putting her Super girl cape on him. I wish I had gotten a picture of it...although he didn't think it was that great and I got on to Delaney...it was very funny.

Enough of my rambling. I am glad he was not in much, if any pain and that it didn't take long. We will miss our beautiful, sweet Wally.

2 comments:

M said...

I'm so sorry for the loss of your sweet pet. I'm glad that it did seem he had a peaceful end.

Unknown said...

What a sweet and loving description of your dog. It is a moving tribute.