Friday, October 15, 2010

Not a great October!

So each year I go on a scrapbook retreat with some girls from my Sunday School class. We have a ball. We stayed at the Red Victorian in Galveston. Two bedrooms were converted into craft rooms, and two bedrooms were full of beds for us to bunk. I took Kelley Green and Kimmie Gonzales with me this trip. Kimmie's mom lives 25 minutes from Galveston, so we went to her mom's house the night before. I got to stay in her bedroom...which was just too cute because it was still full of all of her "stuff", mums from high school, books on the bookshelf from when she was a teenager, pics etc. LOVED it.

We left Kimmie's kids and car at her mom's and headed to the retreat. We arrived, unpacked and got to "scrappin". We stayed up late, so I slept in the next morning. I woke up to the sound of people eating breakfast. I thought...better get down there before you don't get fed. Out of the bed and down the stairs I went. Well, that night I was a little chilly (as always) so I wore socks. The stairs were wood, but were painted ...with slick oil high gloss paint. I slipped and before I could catch myself, my foot went to a point and then bent BACKWARDS. I kept my arm out so I was hitting the chair rail spindles the hole way down. It caused me not to flip...but, can I say Ow! Did I mention that this was an extremely long staircase. I skiied down on my toes and knees and sat at the bottom of the stairway trying to not pass out. I couldn't speak and I was so nautious. It was one of those severe pains that makes you want to vomit. After sitting there for a good 10 minutes, someone asked "Judy, are you alright"? They saw my feet at the bottom of the stairs. I replied "not really", but they thought I said "I'm okay". I waited another 3-5 minutes when a couple of the girls got up to check on me. I'm trying to feel my foot...knowing something is broken...just not knowing what! I finally felt my toes...and BINGO. The owner kept trying to apply ice on it while holding my foot and squeezing. I really and truly thought I was going to knock her to the ground because I would yelp and lay my head on the stairway in pain, she would apologize and then would DO IT AGAIN!!! Can you say idiot!

Kimmie took me to the emergency clinic in hope for drugs :-) I knew they couldn't do anything other than that, since it was my toe. I was worried they wouldn't give me anything good, since clinics don't like to give the good stuff out. They want you to "go see your primary physician". We get there and hobble to the window. The lady at the window asks what I was there for. I answer "narcotics". She looked startled, so Kimmie stepped in to say I had slipped down the stairs and broke my toe. The lady looks at me again and asks for my driver's liscence and insurance card. Hmmm, no insurance card either (wasn't looking to good, was it). I think quickly and call Todd. He fills the info out and we sit there for over an hour waiting to be seen.

They check me out, give me x-rays (evil rough x-ray woman) and said, Its broken. Duh! "Hand the drugs over" is what I wanted to stay. Instead they gave me a shot for the pain, and then a prescription and a foot boot! I was happy. We went back to the "retreat" and I cross stitched the rest of the time. We got back on Sunday night, and I was back at work on Monday.

I was thankful for the vicodin, thankful for the ibuprofen, and thankful to be home. What I was most thankful for, was having friends like Kimmie to drive me to the ER and try to entertain me in my hours of pain and Kelley who drove me home in my car, while I puked a good 10 times...all the while, acting like it didn't bother her.

God is there and provides through the good times and bad. He provided the weekend, the drugs, the friends, and the wonderful family to come home to. Todd and the girls have been really good trying to make sure I am comfortable this week. Love them!

No comments: