Saturday, August 2, 2008

What Would Jesus Do?

So the Northrup family got together with our neighbors, The Crenshaws, as is usually the case on a Friday night, for a good game of spades for the adults, and a Barbie and movie fest for the kids. People warned me that having the girls so close together would cause me to deal with them bickering and fighting all the time. Fortunately, that isn't the case at all. They are each other's best friend. Really, they adore one another and hardly ever argue. Notice I said hardly ever.

Last night, during Barbie fest, Kaytlynn and Delaney decided they wanted to play with the same Barbie doll. They had a tug of war that ended with Delaney "hurting" herself and running to Daddy for sympathy. Was she really hurt? Not at all. She just wanted the Barbie and thought getting hurt was the way to go. Of course, dear ol dad didn't see it this way...but I promise I'm right.

They both get time out. After their time out is served they are happy campers and it is time for me to talk to them about their choices...and why it was a bad one.

I talk to Delaney. She gets it...she should love her sister and not fight with her.

I talk to Kaytlynn. She is a little older...so I pull the "What does the Bible say a friend does?" card out on her.
She quickly quotes..."a friend loveth at all times...Proverbs 17:17".
Mommy thinks "good girl", but mommy says "Now were you loving Delaney when you were fighting with her over the Barbie?"
Kaytlynn whispered almost silently "No, mommy" I am sorry.

I should have stopped right there....but I didn't.
I ask Kaytlynn, "If Jesus was playing with Delaney and wanted the same barbie she did, what would he have done?"
Kaytlynn replied with eyes wide "probably torn the Barbie's head off or something".

I tried my best to hold it in...so did Dana and Todd...but eventually we are all turning away trying for Kaytlynn to not see our giggles behind our stern faces.

I quickly tell her to go hug her sister and apologize. They did, and went upstairs to play like they should...while we all laughed so hard that our sides hurt.

We have NO IDEA really what she was talking about. I guessed that maybe she was talking about how powerful and big God is, since she talks about that a lot. Dana thinks maybe God was going to tear barbie in half so that they could both play with her. The jury is out on that one. Wouldn't it be great to be able to read their minds when they say things like that?

1 comment:

Chris and Kim said...

that is adorable! I'm glad we have these blogs to write down the cute things they say so that we can remember them when they are older! I can't wait to hear what Evan is thinking...!!