Saturday, January 3, 2009

Christmas...



Two years ago, my sister and I bought so many presents for our children that the children got TIRED of opening their presents and just started playing with what they had. We would try to "sell" the unopened packages to them.
"oh, Wow, LOOK AT THIS" "I wonder what is in this (as we shook the present in the air) "its addressed to KAYTLYNN...
or
"This present looks pretty cool Jacob...what do you think would fit in an octagonal box."
It worked for a little while, but we both were still left with unopened packages by the end of the day. Ridiculous, huh?

We come about it honestly. Christmas was huge at my house. My parents didn't buy us a lot throughout the year, but at Christmas they made up for it. My mom was bad, my father...just outright uncontrollable! I can honestly say that I don't ever remember not receiving something that I didn't want. Each Christmas was the same...presents spilling out everywhere, while Lisa and I oodled over them and my parents smiled, laughed, bragged and took pictures of us as we took our trip of ecstasy.

Last year we did do a little better, but it was still a little over the top. Well, this year we spent the whole month of December bragging about how well we had done. I mean we were really tooting our horns! The week before Christmas, Lisa calls and tells me more stuff she has bought.
I said accusingly to her that "I thought you were done buying presents...that you were gonna be REALLY good this year."

She told me "Yeah, Caroline said the same thing to me and you wanna know what I told her?" I told Caroline that Judy says that she has only bought this little craft of this Barbie, and blah, blah, blah. And I thought that's really nice, but in reality...I think I am going to show up at Christmas and discover that Judy is just a big, fat liar.

Unabashed, isn't she? That cutie patootie sister of mine.

I stuck to my story. The girls would have a wonderful BUT simple Christmas this year. I show up to my parents...spend the whole night wrapping presents and put them under the tree. I really did think I did well. It was much less crowded this year. I think I did a MUCH better job this year. But as my wise old sister says quite often. Better is better...but that doesn't mean better is good...Better is just Better!

She was right. We had presents stacked all the way around the tree 3 and 4 ft high in some places and coming about 6 feet out from the tree.

So Lisa...and the rest of you...thanks for loving me...Big Fat LIAR and all.

1 comment:

-Dana, Child of God said...

We do this to...but on there birthdays! I am sure they loved everything. :)